Identity in the online age/Collective identity

1) 

  • Who are You: We all construct an image of what we want to be seen as.
  • I think therefore I am: Our identity used to be easier to define with it usually revolving around our class, religion, gender and predetermined roles.
  • From citizen to consumer: We shouldn't be behaving as active citizens but passive consumers
  • The rise of the individual: The notion of the individualism took hold and people wanted to express there own uniqueness.
  • Branding and lifestyle: Advertisers sell the personality rather than the product so people choose what brand they can associate with their own self image.
  • Who will we be:We have a lot more control over our public image and we can present the best parts of out identity on our "homepage" 
2) Primark, Sony and Nike. Primark and Nike reflect my identity through its idea of fashion.

3) I agree with the view that modern media is about "style over substance". People would rather have something that looks appealing to others eyes so that they can showoff rather than have something they're personally comfortable with and is effective there needs/wants.

4) Baudrillards theory of media saturation is about how the media is being plagued by simulacra (symbols and signs) and have replaced actual human experiences. These constructs of society distort how we see the world by presenting us with a hyper reality (fiction and reality begin to blend together.)

5) I wouldn't say my image on social media is a reflection of who i actually am. Its a whole lot easier to be feign confidence online than it is in person so my online personality diverges from my actual self due to the anonymity that comes from the internet. I don't believe i've ever really removed a picture because it revealed who I am but then again I don't really send a lot images of myself online anyway.

6) Data mining in my opinion is a breach of my privacy as I'd rather companies not have a list of things that they know from my personal information. Instead of a company telling me what I want for myself I believe it would be a lot more satisfying to just simply discover what I might like.

Media magazine 

1) Collective identity is the idea that individuals who share the same values traditions and understanding of the world around them.

2) Some things that represent Britain are:The weather(Because its random and unpredictable), tea, the Queen/Royal family, London eye, House of parliament.

3) They offer a nostalgic representation of Britain through a variety of ways like the specific toys James May examines which people aged 30+ might recognise. They explore this mythic version of England that was lived in by the older generation. 

4) Technology has allowed people to actively involve themselves in content and our culture and as a by product we are able to change our collective identity as a whole by simply producing content on social media apps like YouTube.

5) The phrase David Gauntlett used to describe our cultures new focus on identity is the "Make and contact agenda" where consumers are able to also be producers which allows for a broader variety of creativity and interactivity from the audience.

6) The example given from "Shaun of the Dead" on Facebook was where a fan learns a new word that existed from this group of people. This collective identity isnt hindered by national borders to understand this cultural identity. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Media Regulation MIGRAIN

Oh Comely-Audience

Mens health magazine industry